Ringing Part 4: Did it work?
I don’t know, let’s find out!
So the things I’ve done so far to deal with the ringing:
I haven’t made any changes to acceleration or jerk from the default (3000 and 10 respectively). I can do that once I’ve taken the measure of the hardware.
It also occurs to me that the actual tabletop that the printer sits on is probably related to the quality of the prints. My enclosure has a floor covered with yoga mat material, and every edge of the printer sinks into that mat. Maybe the towers don’t like being pushed upwards like that.
I haven’t fine-tuned this filament for extrusion width so I can’t just compare the ideal wall thickness to the actual wall thickness like I usually would. But what I can do is look at the mean absolute deviation, which tells me how different each wall thickness is from the average thickness.
This is not going to be a scientific approach, by the way. I’m not planning to print every possible combination of stuff (although maybe I will, that sounds like fun). No, I always start these experiments with an exploratory phase where I test a few alternatives for one factor, pick the best result, and run with that for testing other factors. I’ve found that it is a faster way of understanding the problem space.
To give you an idea of the before treatment:
I really gotta replace that blower fan in case I accidentally got a bad one.
It’s now 11 PM so it’s time to sleep. No results today, but suffice to say, the mechanical changes I made have reduced ringing by about 5× or more. It’s still there, annoyingly, but it’s far less noticeable.